Sunday, March 3, 2013

Here we are, another spring.  What will the garden look like this year?  Much has happened in one year for us.  We purchased land in a place where we can live our homestead lifestyle.  It is rough land but came with all the necessities.  Electricity, water and septic system.  Someone had a mobile home on it years ago and so we will build and move in.

At the moment we have a travel trailer parked there so we can have a place to stay while we work.  We do have several things underway.  I have ordered the start of a dwarf orchard.

  • Golden Delicious apples
  • Jonathon Apples
  • Bing Cherry 
  • Tartarian Cherry
  • Bartlett Pear
  • Asian Pear
I'm happy with the Arbor Day Foundation's trees and when you become a member they give you a very good deal on purchasing the trees.

The land is a slope at the top end but around the center and lower end it is flat.  Almost 1/2 an acre of it is hillside.  We know we can make the most of it with terracing but have found a very nice spot for the cabin down there in among the hardwoods.  

I've received most of my seeds for the veggies and all of the herbs.  There's a beautiful spot for the herb and wildflower garden.  We plan on building two bee hives so the flowering herbs and the wild flowers will be necessary.  I've also purchased clover for planting which they like.

Top end of the land will be alfalfa, Timothy and millet.  Most likely only alfalfa the first year to help break up the soil.  I'll have pictures soon.  Just wanted to post about some of what's going on.  I'll be back with a list of the herbs and veg.  Today I plant the onion seed on my heated mat for germinatiion.  I have a few different kinds.  The bunching onions both red and white and then yellow globe to be planted out in a bed.  The bunching will stay in window boxes on the deck.

I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment