Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chicken Invasion!

I love the chickens.  Even just watching them, but in a free range situation they can cause damage.  This is the first growing season in ages that I have had time to really work the garden.  Next year will surely be better because I've taken care of my home (inside) issues with the exception of some projects and can now direct my attention to the outdoors.

Anyhow, the girls found my raised beds the day after we first let them out of the barn.  They can't help but peck and scratch everywhere they go and so all I have down there are the cukes that are on a fence and the acorn squash that I had put a section of chicken wire over.  I could have planted it earlier but I want to harvest it later and get it into storage.  Carrots too.

Today I'm making cages to fit over the beds.  Even though hubby is making the run for the chickens I can use these wire cages to put plastic over and extend the growing season both in spring and fall.  I'm cutting the bottom out of plastic gallon milk cartons and will use them in the spring to cover my plants inside the plastic covered cages.  Straw stuffed in around the cartons will provide added insulation.  I have this in mind for the early tomatoes called, "Stupice".  They tolerate some cooler temps.

This day has gone so fast.  The cat spent sunday and monday night in the animal hospital for a bad reaction to flea and tick repellent.  She had seizures.  Almost $900.00 it cost.  They said if we didn't get her treated she could be left with severe tremors for the rest of her life and some cats die.  This is the first time we had to do anything like this and would not have been able to if we didn't have a charge card.  It was heartbreaking seeing her in those seizures. I picked her up today.

Well, I need to get dinner started.   

No comments:

Post a Comment