Sunday, August 10, 2014

Garden bed cages

I have (2) 4 x 4 cages built so far and enough materials for one more.  One covers the acorn squash, one covers swiss chard and kale.  The third one will cover the garlic when it is planted.

When the season began, we really didn't have a plan for the raised beds.  I started cucumber seeds and knew I would have the east side of two beds growing vertical.  This left about 1/2 of each bed for something else.  

UPDATE:

  • BED #1 with cucumbers have 2 vines went rogue.  It would have caused damage to the plants to try and adjust them so they now have the whole bed.
  • BED #2 with cumbers didn't do well.  Only 2 out of 5 survived the chickens until we put up some chicken wire.  The 2 survivors aren't very prolific and if I can get some purple sprouting broccoli started I will remove them and replace with the sprouting broccoli.
The kale I have is the Nero variety.  Never got the curly ones planted.  I may still have time.  Today I will start the curly kale and purple sprouting broccoli. I do have some turnip seed I may also give a try.  30 days to maturity is definitely do-able.

I have one Prudens tomato plant that survived the June frost and it lives in the south west corner of bed #5.  I chose that spot because it gets the sun for most of the day.  It is huge indeed!  It shares the bed with Danvers carrots that I only last week planted.  I'm praying the good Lord will bless them and cause them to grow us a good harvest.  The seed is a couple of years old.  If I don't see any growth in the week I will plant the fresher seed of Chantenay.  

Bed #6 is the kale and swiss chard, Bed #3 is reserved for garlic, Bed #4 is the acorn squash.  My 2' x 10' bed lies fallow this year.  Next year it will probably be filled with onions.

Meanwhile, the rain gutter garden thrives!  PTL!

No comments:

Post a Comment