Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Harvesting Zucchini

After being a stay at home mom for about 15 years (with the exception of the occasional part time job), I went back to working full time in 2002.  While at home I tended a fairly nice organic garden.  

We took it from a triangular plot approx. 21 feet x 15 feet to (6) 4' x 4' raised beds terraced plus a 2' x 10' down the left side of the other beds and next to our compost pile.

We added a small 5' x 6' goldfish pond with a roofed deck beside it (complete with rain barrel) and this is where we began to spend our early evenings before bed.

It had become a place that required constant maintenance, which I was most happy to do because I loved it!  However, the longer I worked, year after year, it became more neglected.  We rarely had a good harvest from anything but garlic, kale and zucchini.

The patio square block pathways became covered with dirt and weeds, as did the creek bed stone path that had taken so long to collect and build.  The last 2 years we didn't bother to even turn over the dirt in 4 of the beds. 

Our little deck where we sat and talked summer evenings had become a storage place for wood and windows.  Thankfully the goldfish are still alive!!
Well, my job to restore all this has not been an easy one but I'm nearly there. Husband has been faithfully caring for our new rain gutter garden in the back so we should have an abundance of tomatoes, green peppers, Ancho chili peppers and eggplant!

I've started harvesting Boston pickling cukes from the raised beds and will make refrigerator pickles with them.  As the title of this post states, I'm also harvesting zucchini.  I'm leaving a link to a recipe I'm making today but please search Gina's recipes.  You will be very happy you did!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html

This isn't a very exciting year in the garden, but since I'm 1/2 way home we are having a come back and I'm already making plans for next year.

We are dividing the flock of chickens we were gifted and helping a lady get back on her feet.  Her former flock was killed by something that got into her coop last year.  We'll have to see how that happened and repair it before making the transfer of the birds.


Well, I'm thankful for where we are, what we've got and where we are headed. Thanks Lord!  Amen.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment