Thursday, August 21, 2014

Purple Sprouting Broccoli

I'm looking for great veggies that don't have a long growing time to maturity so that I can make the best use of my limited space.  One of my finds is this purple sprouting broccoli.  This is where I purchased the seed:

http://www.superseeds.com/early-purple-sprouting-broc-35-days.html?___SID=U



EARLY PURPLE SPROUTING BROCCOLI (35 DAYS)


The description: (35 awesome days to maturity!)
This purple version of Raab is popular in the North. An alternative way to grow it is to plant in mid-summer, over-winter it and then get two months of delicious cuttings the following spring. High in vitamins with a tangy flavor. 100 seeds PLANTING: Indoors - 4-6 weeks before last frost and 1/4” deep with soil temperature at 65-75 degrees. Liquid fertilize seedlings every 7-10 days. Transplant out just before last frost. Outdoors – Early spring until mid summer for fall crops. Plant 1/2” deep and 6” apart. Thin seedlings to 18” apart. Harvest- Pick when heads are tight before flower buds starts to open. For varieties that produce side shoots keep picked for a longer production Tips - A heavy feeder transplant/direct seed into well composted soil and side dress when buds begin to form.

I plan to use this as part of my fall/winter garden each year.  I'll try over wintering but some of our winters are far worse than others.  I suspect not all plantings will be successful.  However,  I think the kale will survive.  I've had it last till January with no cover.

Another favored veg in my garden is this early bean:


MASAI BEAN (47 DAYS)

Green Bush Bean. Small plants produce huge yields of thin, smooth, flavorful beans. Plants are only a foot tall but are covered with 4 inch long beans, a couple dozen per plant. Several plants will provide a meal for two and due to the growth habit the harvest is quick and easy. The best bean we know of for container growing and a great choice for late summer planting. The fall yields appear to be almost as heavy as those we got in the summer. Reportedly Masai is now "the standard" bean in Europe. 2 oz packet ( 200 seeds)

What I love about this variety is that they are not only heavy producers, but they can be planted like 3" apart!  I can plant a whole 4 x 4 bed, harvest a couple times (big harvests) and then remove the plants to the compost pile.  I can then add compost and plant another short season veg.

Also from Pinetree Garden Seeds:
http://www.superseeds.com/masai-bean-47-days.html?___SID=U

No comments:

Post a Comment